Monday, February 18, 2008

Rosenlofs v. Haiti

It's really like a bad divorce, except Haiti has full-custody and we get them about 5 days per year. What's wrong with this picture?

Don't get me wrong. As a mother-country, Haiti's doing her best. And they're in a good home now with Nadia. I know she takes care of them and does her best. I would just like to think that we will be better.

And so, in a way, we're suing Haiti for full-custody of these children. And because the legal system is involved, we're in for a long, drawn out fight.

A friend of mine posted something on her blog that I'm going to paraphrase - as long as we've been in this adoption process, we've thought of them as OUR kids. The reality is, they aren't. Not yet.
"We can't MAKE them our kids...they just aren't. We can't wish them into being our kids, we can't love them into being our kids, we can't hope them into being our kids...we just have to wait to see if some random man in some random office DECIDES that they are our kids..."

Until then, I'll keep waking up with them on my mind and savor a few moments while I picture what it will be like to have them with me - here... in this house. I picture their rooms. Soccer games. Dance classes. Spelling bees. Fights. Temper Tantrums. Playing with the dog.

They ride along to work with me, filling my thoughts as I navigate the rush hour. And there's nothing I'd rather ponder on than them.

Come home soon, Alexis and Nathan. We love you. We miss you. Sleep well.

1 comment:

Sally said...

What an appropriate comparison! I was just thinking along those lines the other day after I prayed for them to come to you sooner than later. What a frustrating, strange process it must be to find your way through. Prayers from us still.

Post a Comment