Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Of Cysts and Surgeries

So I had my pre-op visit with the MD today. They'll plan on going in with the scope to remove all the cysts, but if they get in there and the cysts are too big to take out through scope then they'll put me under deeper and cut me open to get them out. The latter option will require a couple of nights in the hospital.

The human body is fascinating. It can also be disgusting. They're not sure what type of cysts I have - although they do know they're different types of cysts on each side, based on the ultrasound. The one side may be what they call a dermoid cyst.

I also highly recommend that you never, never, never, never look up pictures of dermoid cysts on the internet. See, these are cysts that are made from the cells on the ovary that contribute hair, teeth and skin in an embryo. So that's what the cysts are filled with: hair or teeth or skin. Nasty to the infinite power.

Dr. Lind said he once removed two cysts from a woman that each had part of a mandible (jawbone) growing in them! Just these little cells in there, doing what they do best, which is dividing and creating whatever structure they were designed to create. ("Look, Ma! I'm a jawbone!!")

So, here's to hoping that they're all "scope-able" and that the "cysts of nastiness" are soon no longer invading my abdomen. It's time to deport the ovaric Beatles!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Dr Linde is a great doctor to trust your Beatles to. Good luck.

Sally said...

Oh Lori, that reminds me of the aunt in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where she's talking to Tula's new inlaws and tells them about the cyst or tumor that was growing in her neck, and how it had parts, so she was really growing her own twin! Good luck growing your own. :) Let's take them out and dispose of them, and get two beautiful babies named Lexi and Nathan instead, shall we?

Lori said...

I know, right!!! I thought of that Aunt and her "bibopsy" as well. It's about time I grew SOMETHING in my abdomen, I guess. :)

Glad it's over with. Now I just get to move really gingerly for a while while this incision heals.

Post a Comment