Saturday, February 16, 2008

Isn't She Lovely

When I was about 3, Stevie Wonder came out with a song called, "Isn't She Lovely?"

Isn't she lovely?
Isn't she wonderful?

My dad told me that Stevie Wonder wrote that song about me. And of course, I totally believed him.

I distinctly remember being in the family Pinto on many occassions and that song would come on the radio. Dad would say, "There's Lori's song!" and turn up the radio and we'd all sing along.

Isn't she lovely?
Isn't she wonderful?


I can still remember the woodpaneling on that vehicle. The way the plastic seats would stick to your legs in the summer. The two bucket seats in the back and the way the three of us (at the time) would argue over who had to sit on "the hump." (No seatbelt laws back then).

Sometime down the road I realized that I'd never and would never meet Stevie Wonder. Dad had lied, but convincingly. Or maybe it was just more important that his lie had told me that he loved me.

Years later, as a missionary away from home, I'd hear that song playing on the Musak over a store soundsystem and I'd miss my dad.

When my brother and his wife were married a few weeks ago, they had that song played at their wedding reception as the 2nd dance. It was a surprise for me. They'd done it so that I could dance with my dad to my song.

Isn't she lovely?
Isn't she wonderful?

3 comments:

Sally said...

How sweet. You are, and you are! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful brother and sister-in-law to think of you on their day! It sounds like you have a wonderful family! -Luana

Lori said...

Thanks, Sal. That's very kind of you. It's always been a special memory for me.

And yes, Lu, they are pretty cool. It was funny to be standing there talking to someone, and hear that song come on and then go grab my dad and say, "They're playing our song. You need to come dance with me." It was a nice surprise!

Post a Comment