Saturday, October 18, 2008

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before....

Sorry for the delays and lack of posting. We didn't have internet access the rest of the week in Haiti and were even unable to get connected in Miami Saturday night.

I'm not even sure how to describe this last week.... Still no word on Malot. It may be some time before we hear anything. Unfortunately, the uncle is what Harry calls "a bad man" and he says it's literally not safe for them to send someone to try to reason with the uncle just yet. Please don't ponder too long on what that means for Malot... It's not a good train of thought.

We did have the most unbelievable week. I can't adequately tell the story of what happened and how things came to be so I guess I'll just be direct and tell you our most recent change:

We were reunited with Nathan this week.

I know, we were stunned as well. His birth mother and father decided that they do need to give him up. Apparently, she's been contacting Nadia (the orphanage director) every day for the last 3 weeks, asking her to take him and place him again. Nadia basically told her to make up her mind and then get back to her.

Nothing is ever "set" in Haiti, but his birth parents did go before a judge on Thursday and sign relinquishment papers. That is a very good step in the direction we want - it makes it far less likely that she'll waffle again. Nadia told us on Tuesday that there was a possibility that we'd get Nathan back that week, but we were very guarded and hesitant to get our hopes up.

Our friends were at the orphanage when Nathan's parents brought him in on Thursday. A driver took the parents to the court, and Nathan got to "hang out" with our friends at the O for the next 4 hours. I use the term "hang out" loosely. Apparently he screamed and cried and cried and screamed until he puked. He was NOT happy. And it didn't seem to matter who was holding him.

When Nathan's parent's papers were taken care of with the judge, our friends at the O loaded up and came back to the hotel where we were. We saw the group walking into the hotel plaza with a child in their arms and were stunned - disbelieving that it really may have happened.

Sure enough, he was there and he's ours again.


Here's Nathan in January of this year when we met him:And here he is now:

We missed you so much, Nathan! And you are grounded for the rest of your life for leaving for 9 months without telling Mommy where you're going!

More stories to come...

And yes, this means that we're going to request approval for THREE kids, in case Malot comes back. After all, stranger things have happened.

People are going to think I make this stuff up!

17 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, I have no response to that! Pretty amazing! Congratulations!

Lynnae said...

Yipee!!!

Maggie said...

Nah...I don't think you could make up anything as convoluted as this has been!
Welcome back, Nathan! You and Jessica need to come home soon. Peek-a-boo over the webcam is fun, but not quite the same as having you to hold!

Nichole said...

I am so glad you are home safe.

Nathan back where he belongs in your arms makes my soul feel good. It was an amazing week and I love being part of it. This cements the fact that our children's spirits remeber who we are and where they are meant to be.

Thanks for making this a wonderful trip.

Field Family said...

That first picture of you is amazing. It has captured the true love of a mother.

Best of the Best said...

Lori, What awesome news to read on a Monday morning!!! I'm truly happy that your family is growing by leaps and bounds. This reminds me of a talk Pres Eyring gave in a stake conference a few years ago. There have been several moments in his life when the Spirit whispers to him "I'm taking care of it, Hal." The Lord is truly taking care of things regarding your family.

Best of the Best said...

By the way, since Nathan's parents appeared before the judge and signed the papers, does that put him at the "Presidential approval" step?

Anonymous said...

Lori - I was so happy to hear from you on the phone. I have been literally checking your blog 2-3 times a day since Thursday. In my gut I was expecting some sort of big change of events, although I would have never guessed it would have been about Nathan. I told Kohl the exciting news and he thought that was great. He was very inquisitive as to when you would be able to bring them home... ;) Cliss

jessica rabbit said...

I'm so happy for you guys. The family picture looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

We are thrilled for you guys!!! There has always been something about Nathan that just feels soooo right! He and Jessica not only look like siblings, they could be twins! So cute! We will continue to pray for all of you and Malot. It's amazing how you can see the Lords' hand in this. I hope and pray that Heavenly Father will continue to watch over all of your children. Love, Trudi

Rachael said...

Wow! Wow! What an amazing miracle! Oh wow! Best news of the day! I've been thinking of you so much this week. Good stuff to keep you going...

Any news on Lexi?

Pete and Mare said...

The majority of the trip was a big whirl wind for me and I had little time to relax, let alone "hang out" so I see it as an amazing blessing that I happend to be with you guys when they brought Nathan to you. I will never forget that sacred moment and I will continue to believe that the Lord, with the help of many angels(seen and unseen), gets His children to their families. Congratulations guys! Thank you for being our dear freinds. We miss you all! Big hug! Have a great week!

The Adams Family said...

Hi Lori, its Teresa. I went on the trip and saw for my own eyes that Nathan would not stop crying for anyone or anything. As soon as he was in yours and Brents arms it was if we had exchanged kids. The spirit was so strong at that reunion that without a doubt in my heart I know he is yours. Truly inspirational. I had to laugh at your comment that people are going to start thinking that you make this stuff up. There isn't a writer out there that would even think of some of the experiences a Haitian adoption gives you. Hang in there!

The Brown's said...

Lori- I just am speechless! I just started crying when I read your post! I can't believe it. The Lord works in mysterious ways. I can't tell you how happy we are for you and Brent. We will keep you and your sweet family in our prayers!

leadatortilla said...

2 points for the Lord!! YA-HOOO!!!

Heather said...

I can't tell you how I enjoyed meeting you and your children. Being in the large group of people seeing you get your son back was an honor for me. You handle this process with grace and humor and you inspire me. You are always in my prayers. I hope you don't mind I added your blog to my page. I will check on you and all of the awesome parents we met while in Haiti off of your sight. Count us in big time as friends of Malot, Jessica and Nathan. Much love, Heather

Salzwedel Family said...

Praise God that you have been reunited. Your children are precious!

Post a Comment