Sunday, March 9, 2008

GROSS National Product

Mr. Pee-body (not his real name, but everyone uses aliases on blogs, right?) has single-handedly turned our house into the largest single consumer of paper towels in the Western Hemisphere. I mentioned that he seems to be able to convert water from thin air. He could be in the middle of the Mojave-freakin' desert and that pooch would still find a way to pee a river!

I bring all this up because when we returned home today and there SEVERAL messes to cleanup, Brent picked up Puppy and said in a cute "talking to puppy" voice, 'I'd strangle you if you weren't so cute!" (Puppy has his own "Gross National Product" with emphasis on the GROSS)

He is getting the general idea that the dog door is really a portal to the magical kingdom that is the out of doors. He still doesn't really "grasp" the concept, but he has used it successfully several times today (although I'm quite sure that sometimes he is as surprised that he made it through the doggie door as we are).

Brent also built what I can only call a "contraption" this afternoon that will successfully bar the doggies into one corner of the kitchen (where their food/water/doggie door are). When I say "built", I mean "used the nail gun and wood to build a wall-thing and only told me afterward that he's actually NAILED it to the kitchen floor".

Puppy is very sweet, cute and quiet. For those of you unfamiliar with the breed - whippets CAN bark... they just DON'T bark. And he's growing. He's already standing a bit taller than Divot, all though Divot still kicks his proverbial and literal tail in their little wrestling matches.

And finally, the poor pooch is still nameless. We've had a stellar turnout on the voting on the blog all though some people (I'd tell you it was my Uncle John, but then you'd all know he cheated) have found ways to vote multiple times for their favorite. He has several nicknames: Little One and Puppy are the most common. He still doesn't realize that any of the noises coming out of our mouths have much to do with him. I guess "Sit" is the exception and he's pretty stellar with that one.

But back to the NameGate 2008... with Divot people either have no idea what a "divot" is, or they are so completely unfamiliar with the word that they make it match the closest thing they do know. People think we've named him "David" for example, and then we get to hear about how that's their brother's name and it's awkward for all when we have to tell them that, "no, in fact the dog isn't named after your brother, but thank you for asking."

Chaucer - which was on of my favorites, failed on the "holler test". It's just to NICE of a name to be used to yell down the street when my pet has gone wayward. plus it makes me break out.... into a lousy British accent which I think is more confusing for the little chap.

Bogey is the leader at this point, but Brent has now found fault with it. I'm not sure what his woes encompass.

So we're back to Me not caring any longer and Brent wanting to call him DUCK. I think that sums it up.

Thoughts on Duck, my dear readers>>>>>>

7 comments:

Maggie said...

'Divot' and 'Duck' both roll off the tongue rather nicely, but I see issues with folks thinking they are the twins. You know, David and Dick!
At this house, we rather like the golf theme, but Bogey garners up thought of Humphrey rather than a putting green.
'Seven Iron' is a little awkward to be hollerin' down the street...too many syllables.
'Tiger'? Nah...not enough stripes in his brindle for that to fit.
'Nicklaus'would work...'Nick' for his call name. Folks would think you really like Christmas, however.
'Palmer' 'Callaway' 'Titleist' 'Top Flite' 'Wilson' 'Ping' 'Hogan' all come to mind. Of those, I like Wilson and/or Hogan

Troy said...

Honestly, when I saw the title of the poll, I thought his name should be Atrayou... :-)

Lori said...

Thank you, Troy and Sal, for "getting" the reference! :)

Anonymous said...

I was just reading through the list of golf names and thought 'Ping' would work well for the pup, but make a slight change to the spelling - 'Peeing'. Yeah, I know, bad suggestion. -Luana

K-Lynn said...

I thought Duck went right along well with the golf theme....as in "I'm teeing off now.....DUCK!!!!!!"
I vote for Duck!

Anonymous said...

OK, let's back up here. One, no where did it say one vote per person. Second, the system allowed it, whether it was suppose to or not. Third, it is a poll, certainly not scientific and there is always a margin of error of +/- 5% (standard for all polls). And finally, I did openly tell someone I did it, cheaters don't tell.

And as long as we are on the golf theme I haven't seen "Putter", "Green", "Rough" or "Mulligan". Duck has great potential if for nothing more than watching people either look up or duck when you called his name.

Lori said...

Brent wanted "Mulligan" - he's tried to name a couple of dogs that over the years. It just doesn't roll off the tongue, thought.

As I type this, Puppy and Divot are asleep with Puppy using Divot for a body pillow/mattress. Divot's dreaming he's being chased or chasing. and Puppy's slowly sliding into the crack between the couch cushions. It's a tough life.

Post a Comment