Friday, April 25, 2008

How It All Began...

I had the opportunity to tell someone how Brent proposed to me the other day and I remembered that it really is a great story.

We met at a in the bishop's office at church. We were both in leadership positions at the time and so we had meetings together. He was the only one who "got" all my "witty banter".

Our first "date" (term used loosely) was when I invited him to a Halloween Party that a bunch of us were having. It was a "How to Host a Murder" Party so there happened to be 4 girls and 4 guys because that's how the game is set up. Brent loves to say that on our first date, Lori went out with another guy. It seems that I wasn't very clear to Brent that it was a group event and he was more than a little confused when I arrived to pick him up with another male friend. :)

It's also interesting that Brent never really asked me on a date. I asked him to come to that party, and then we went to a fireside with a bunch of people kind of spontaneously the next evening. The night after that I went over to his house and read him some bedtime stories (it's one of my mad skills). And after that, we were just always together.

Brent had season tickets to the symphony when we first met (he really is a Renaissance Man). I guess he probably did ask me to go to the symphony that night. It was December 11th and it was very cold. Brent was working as a baker (he makes European hearth breads and at one time trained with members of the US Baking Team. Did you KNOW there was a US Baking Team??) and so he worked horrible hours the first year or so of our lives. At any rate, my baker boy feel asleep during the concert. He was exhausted and I couldn't blame him.

I tried to get him to just let us go home after the concert but he kept insisting that "you can't come to Salt Lake in December and not stop by to see the Christmas Lights on Temple Square". It is quite a sight if you're ever in the area (or on this continent, for some of my other friends) in December.

At any rate, due to the temperature, we slipped into the Assembly Hall (one of the old buildings built by the pioneers) on Temple Square to get out of the cold. There was a choir performing some Christmas music in there. Christmas time on Temple Square is an event - and you can move around through these performing groups and displays and things as you'd like.

So there we are, standing at the back of this hall... lots of people either sitting on the benches or just standing to listen to the choir. I'm listening to the choir and looking around (I'm an avid people watcher) when suddenly, I see a familiar face in the crowd... and then two faces...

"Brent, there's my mom! And your mom! I didn't know they knew each other!" I said. (It was late, I was cold... cut me some slack). He looked at me like, "Come on, Lori. You're smart enough to figure this out." Then I noticed his sister there amongst the crowd as well. And she was holding a huge bouquet of flowers. And it all clicked with me and I knew what he'd planned.

There, in front of an Assembly Hall full of strangers and our moms and his sister, he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. He knew that it would be a special moment for these other women in our lives so he invited them to be there, which I still think is so sweet and thoughtful! His sister handed me the flowers and the ring was tied into the bow around the bouquet. There was also a note (which I saved of course) that said:

"There is no confection so sweet as joyful reunion."
From the first time we spoke it was as if our two souls had known each
other for eternity. As time progressed, the truth of this statement rang
clear. I know that the future will show that for us this quote is as true
as the Gospel. I love you and want for us to never have to reunite
again.


He did well, no? It's a great memory. I'm grateful our moms and Trudi were able to be there. It's always meant a lot to me that he took the extra time to include them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 years later and I still get misty. Brings back great memories of my evening as a serial killer. Love you both!

Perla said...

what a wonderful story. i'm so glad you shared it! the note he wrote was fantastic. so cool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Brent is definitely a Renaissance man. Murder mystery parties are fun. You'll have to join us when we do one. -Luana

Rachael said...

Wonderful story!!

Char said...

OH!!! OoooH!!!again! Now I know I'm an old woman (or so Ben says) and that I tend to forget things ('specially the important ones) but truly, I don't remember hearing this one. I love it! What an absolute gem you've found in each other!

Maggie said...

It was a wonderful evening, and I appreciated the opportunity to get to know Brent's mother and sister as we drove into Salt Lake City. I will always remember the bitter cold! And, I will remember the boquet had lilies in it, and Lori got pollen on her nose when she smelled them! It was late, so public rest rooms on Temple Square were closed. We had to find a rest room in the parking garage across the street.

Now, MY first time meeting Brent: He was coming to pick Lori up, or see her, or something. The phone rang, and I answered it, and it was Brent...kind of introduced himself to me, and while we were talking the doorbell rang! I had to answer the door, so as I'm talking on the phone (aren't cordless phones wonderful?) I walk to the door. I open the door, and there stands this tall, good-looking dude with a grin a mile wide. He's talking on his cell phone. To me.
I adored him then, and I adore him now.

Lori's Mom

Post a Comment