Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ties That Bind

I took all sorts of toys to Haiti, hoping to be able to play with Lexi. I had no idea she was sick until we got there. She didn't want to LOOK at the toys, let alone play with them. I can't blame her. With everything her little body was going through (parasites, worms, ringworm, scabies....) she was exhausted and just wanted to rest.


I had purchased a little necklace and bracelet made out of brightly colored wooden beads. I had envisioned that she'd like to wear them and "dress up". She cried the day I tried to put them on her. And the next day when I tried again. It broke my heart that we couldn't play at all. I wanted her to have some pleasant memory of Mommy and Daddy.


The next to last day, I was holding her and rocking her when an idea struck me. I reached over and picked up the necklace and looped it twice around my own wrist. Then I set my wrist back down where she could see it and waited for a minute or two. Then I reached over for the bracelet and held it out to her. She lifted up her little arm and held it out for me to put the bracelet on. It was OK to wear it if Mommy was doing it as well. At least, that's how I chose to view it.



So, I still wear this bracelet. It reminds me of my daughter and I hope she's still wearing hers, 2800 miles away in Haiti.


I love you, Lexi. I hope we'll soon have happy memories together.

3 comments:

Cara said...

I am so sorry to see how sick Lexi has been. That is so scary. I know how helpless you feel when your little one is sick and so far away. I am glad she is doing better. I love your blog, and it hits so close to home!!
Thinking of you...

Lori said...

Thanks, Cara. I really hope things come together soon for Kenley and Jenite. And I LOVED the Gracie/princess story! Priceless!

Lori

leadatortilla said...

I loved hearing this little story about the bracelet/necklace. I hope she is wearing her bracelet and thinking of you too. I loved hearing about your experiences today at Church - thank you so much for sharing. Now to look forward to May and hopefully news of a homecoming in the near future!

Post a Comment