Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Transition Stories

I have to share some of Melissa's stories after bringing home Luc and Lyvi this month. These two, in particular, crack me up!

You need to know that Coltyn is her oldest child, age 7. Seth is her husband.

Story one:

Tonight Seth took the all 3 kids to play mini golf and ride the bumper
boats at a nearby place. There was a snotty little boy who had no adult
supervision and kept coming onto the course that Seth and the kids were on. The
kid whacked Coltyn with his putter and all hell broke loose. Luc and Lyvi
FREAKED out!!! They started yelling in their native tongue at this little boy
and waved their putters at him. At one point Seth said he actually had to hold
Lucio back. Seth and Coltyn were shocked and didn't have any idea what Lucio and
Lyvi were saying to this little kid that picked on the wrong big brother. They
did get something about "brother" and "Coltyn" and that was about all they could
understand. Coltyn thanked them for scaring away that kid for him :-). Coltyn is
a whole head taller than Luc and Lyvi.


For the rest of the evening, every time Lucio or Lyvi saw that little
boy, they yelled stuff at him. Seth said it was hilarious. It was a good bonding
moment for Coltyn and the kids as well to see them stick up for him like
that.


And story two:

The other day Luc and Lyvi "exchanged words" and then Luc kicked her and
made her cry. When I asked what happened, Coltyn was all distraught and told me that Luc kicked Lyvi. I asked him why and he got all frustrated and said, "I
don't know, I don't speak Chinese" and looked at me like I was some kind of
idiot.

Good times, good times!


I love that Luc and Lyvi were immediately protective of their new adoptive brother (I think the golfing incident was on their 2nd or 3rd day in America). And I love that Chinese and Haitian are equally unintelligible to Coltyn!

I agree, Coltyn! It's all Greek to me, as well!!

3 comments:

mlg said...

Thanks for the laugh! I can just picture that, I wonder what the kid said to his mom after being yelled at.

Lynnae said...

Lori, I had to chuckle at your "It's all Greek to me" comment. Your great-grandfather Riggs used to tease us when we were little kids by saying that he could speak any language but Greek. When we would ask him to say something in, oh, French or Italian; he'd respond with, "Well, it's all Greek to me!"

Anonymous said...

LOL...The "I don't speak Chinese" part was the best. Congrats on the paperwork moving along. I know how big of a deal just that is.
Cliss

Post a Comment