Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

It's more than a little sad when you walk back into the ER and the nurses know your name. It's like our own warped version of "Cheers" but with kidney stones and Brent's the only one drunk (and that's only after the pain medicine finally kicks in).

Similarly, when we ended up being admitted to the MedSurg floor again (third time in 8 days), all I could say to the nurses was "We're Baa-ack". He's had very good care from the nurses and the doctors here. That's at least a plus.

He's got a kidney infection and that caused some pretty severe pain that we couldn't keep in check with the oral pain medication he's had. When they figured out the pain was caused by an infection, they decided to admit him. With the stint and stone they said, "These things can go from bad to worse really quickly". So, once again, he's got a beautiful view of the AF Hospital doctor's parking lot. I think that's what that is.

The big picture - at least we're together. At least we only have 15 days until we go to see our kids. At least we're able to get medical help for Brent in this time of pain. I can't imagine how the pilgrims or the pioneers dealt with kidney stones or the like. Bring on the pain mediciations!

We'd planned on having a very quiet Christmas this year, given that all our non-work energies have been focused on Haiti. I don't know why I bother planning things. :) Quiet and calm are two things we haven't had. Maybe next Christmas we'll have the kids with us. And then we'll have a better kind of loud and busy.

15 days

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Lori, So sorry to hear about the ER Christmas experience. I have a bunch of new sandals for you to take to your orphanage if you have the room in your suitcases. Let me know and I will drop them off to your mom:) Hope your husband is feeling better soon!

Melissa C

Lori said...

That would be great, Melissa. Thank you.

We're hoping that he passes this soon - otherwise we'll have to postpone the trip and that might kill me.

How many times have you been down?

Any word on your kids?

Melissa said...

I will drop them off in the next few days. What else can I do? What donations/supplies are you trying to get?

I hope your husband is ok. Let's think positive, he will get this over with soon.

I have been down two times. The best two trips that I have ever taken. It is a really amazing place.

No word on my kids. We are in MOI and who knows how long we will be there. Anything goes in Haiti, ha ha.

Your children are so adorable! They are so lucky to have you for a mother.

Lori said...

Melissa, please email me at lolorosen@rapidwave.net

L

Post a Comment