Monday, June 16, 2014

It's a quail... not a Gogurt

We have quail.  A lot of them..  they go with the hawk in a sort of "circle of life" sort of thing.

A year ago, when the first batch of babies were hatching (Brent orders eggs online and then hatches them here), Nathan was having great fun holding the wee little chicks.

One day Nathan came running down the hall and said, "Mama!  This chick is sick.  You have to help it!"
He held out his hand and there was a very limp baby chick in his hand.  I looked at his hand and thought, "That chick is dead."

I could see from his eyes that he was panicked.

"I said, "Oh, baby, I'm so sorry."

He started crying.

"I said, "Did you squeeze him too hard? You have to hold them so carefully and be so gentle with them."

And he said, "I was just trying to squeeze all the poop out of them before I held him.  I didn't want him to poop in my hand."

"Oh, honey... it's a quail, not a Gogurt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment