Saturday, November 13, 2010

And You're Only Three...

My dearest Nathan,
The other night, I picked you up from daycare.  In the car on the way home, I asked you how your day was.

From the backseat, I heard, "Mama... Stop talking."

I said, "Nathan, we don't talk to Mama like that.  Do you need a time-out?"

And you said?

"Mama... Nathan already IN the car seat" (in this tone of voice like, "what else are you going to do to me, woman??")

I have to keep reminding myself that you're only three.  That means I'm in much, much bigger trouble down the road when you're, say... thirteen.

I also have to remind myself that it is that spunky spirit, that "100% feisty Haitian" attitude, that kept you alive in the orphanage.  That determination, that fight.... that is what got you through that hell so that I could bring you home.

I'm so grateful you're a fighter, Sweetness.

I love you,
Mama

2 comments:

mlg said...

Yeah I have to remind myself of that same thing too all the time!!

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog this evening, and got so engrossed in your journey that I read the entire thing in one 2 hour sitting. I so admire the faith you have had to stay the course when nothing went according to plan. Your son is so precious!

I live in Canada and am in the process of adopting a baby girl. I vascilate between fear and faith as I wait, and wait, and wait. Thank you for sharing the joys and sorrows of your journey.

Blessings, JL

Post a Comment